The Glevum Probus Club is a  non-political organisation,
 meeting twice a month to promote frienship, via talks and other activities.
The Club is open to ALL retired and semi-retired men who will receive a warm welcome.
Ladies Days are held on a quarterly basis- when partners are invited to attend.
 Probus clubs were first formed in the 1920s in Saskatchewan, Canada and New Haven,   
Connecticut,USA.The latter was  devoted to helping people with learning and mental
 disabilities . Because they were  not restricted to retired individuals, they are not
  associated with the mainstream worldwide Probus Organisation
 The name was first used for a Club in 1966. The first non-sectarian Probus  
 club was formed by the Rotary Club of Caterham to allow individuals to continue to 
 meet after retirement .The previous year the Rotary Club of Welwyn Garden City formed the "Campus Club" 
 that had the same purpose. The two soon merged and flourished under the sponsorship of 
 the Rotary Club of Bromsgrove, Birmingham.
The original relationship between Rotary and Probus was based on individuals
leaving the former when they reached retirement age and joining the latter.
However with reduced numbers in Rotary, the necessary  move to Probus was cancelled
and the links to Probus broken.
While Rotary have a national and international structure, Probus clubs are now automonous.
 In 1974 Probus expanded into New Zealand and two years later  spread to Australia.
 The first Probus club for seniors in North America was sponsored by the Rotary Club of 
 Cambridge, Ontario, Canada.
 The UK has 1700 clubs, The Netherlands  300 , Canada 170, Ireland 75, South  Africa 75,
Belgium 60, India12 while the USA, Germany,Portugal, Spain & other countries
have single figures each
Alternative Derivations of "Probus"
The English word Probity derives from the Latin Probus (meaning honest & virtuous)
A Roman Emperor named Probus  was famous for  cultivation of the vine!
 There is a village in Cornwall named after St Probus who was a  Christian  martyr c.370AD.